Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pumping Iron

Today I hit the gym for the first time. This is no ordinary gym, it's part of the hospital rehab unit and has all those things you see sometimes on TV, the hip high parallel bars for learning to stand, balance and walk, stairs to practice on and some basic weight equipment. So while starting rehab like activity, I'm not yet actually in rehab. Wound is still healing.

So being the first time in the gym, I was pretty conservative, really just doing enough to get a feel for the exercises set by the rehab physio. It comprises a set of leg balancing, stretch and strength work between the parallel bars, walking up/down the stairs on my crutches and some arm exercises with the ropes/pulleys, working mostly my triceps. A whopping 7.5lbs each side!! Apart from that I have a walk on the crutches, and try to gradually increase the distance each time.

Earlier I had some stitches removed from the stump wound, just a halfdozen that were looking like they were about to bury themselves. Doesn't hurt, just a little sting at most. Most of the rest will likely come out on Friday.

So now the gym is a daily part of the routine and I'm on my way. I'll be intrested to see how quickly/slowly I adapt to the training. After 9 weeks in bed I have lost a lot of condition and have a long way to go. Only way is up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so awesome to see someone hit adversity with drive to achieve and goals ahead of them. You continue to be an inspiration off the bike, and soon back on the bike.

Before you know it, your fellow PT folks will have PMCs to help them analyze their improvements on treadmills and stationary bikes! Be gentle on them! :)

Liz said...

Welcome to my work world Alex. I'm looking forward to hearing your progress both in rehab and later (pretty soon I suspect) on the bike.

Tom Skulander said...

Hi Alex, my apologies for not getting to you sooner. By the sounds of it dealing with things one day at a time is the best. Peter has kept us well up to date of your progress. As you know I have had a fair bit to do with cyclist out of the norm, but from my perspective there is no such thing as the norm. Everyone is individual, it's the coaches job to remember that. If in your progress you need someone who can give you the benefit of their experience with athletes with a disability, let me know. Of course if you just want a chat I'm also up for that as well. All the best Alex, Tom S (and Janelle says Hi)