Thursday, November 05, 2009

Yowser!!!

Training continues apace. No easing up for me following World Masters Track Champs. None of this rest up for a month crap between seasons.

So with some good ol' fashioned solid endurance work during the week, today I was back to doing an old favourite workout, 2 x 20-minute threshold tolerance intervals (TTIs).

I've written about these before. Really top notch hard efforts designed to boost your power at threshold, which is the single most important physiological factor for success in endurance cycling.

Click here to read more.

Last time I did regular TTIs, was in October & November 2006, about six months before my accident. I've done a few as well since of course but it is interesting to note my progress relative to pre-accident levels.

In October & November 2006, my TTI power on road bike was consistently 295-300 watts. And in fact back then I was doing mostly 2 x 15-minute efforts rather than 2 x 20-min efforts.

In the above linked post, I note I also did a 2 x 20-minute TTIs with average power of 313W & 310W. That was January 2007, when I was right into some good form, had won an open crit and was cranking along nicely leading up to State & National Masters track champs (where I set some PBs). I note my comments at the time were that that was a "breakthrough workout" for me.

So how was today's effort? Well here a pic of the file (well the bit with the TTIs, I chopped off the commute to/from my training course).


That, my good readers, is 2 x 20-min TTIs with power averages of 306W and 307W respectively. OK, them's SRM watts versus Powertap watts, so a couple of percent for drive train differences, but still, that I gotta admit is pretty darn remarkable.

So it puts me at roughly 95-98% of pre-accident TT power.

And I'm only just gettin' started.....

Yowser!!

3 comments:

Brian Peterson said...

Alex - I've followed your progress here and on FGF and must say - well done.

Really an inspiration and it's impressive to see you are returning to former strength.

I'm sure you will soon surpass your previous bests (against the clock and against the power meter).

Wanted to attend your talk in Santa Rosa but I was busy racing at our Elite Track Nationals that week!

Anyway, here is to continued success!

Jeff Van Mulligen said...

Great work Alex. Its always nice to see improvements in our form and fitness.

Steve Palladino said...

Of course, all of this recent performance boost can be pinpointed to orginate from riding the Granfondo, right? ;-)
Great job, Alex.